Monday 9 April 2012

Why am I privileged?

"If we ever enter the kingdom of God, we must enter with perfect characters, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing." "If we will rise to the emergency, and arm ourselves like men who wait for their Lord; if we will work to overcome every defect in our characters, God will give us increased light and strength and help." I just returned to the USA this week from being overseas for nearly 6 months. It was a good experience. I learned a lot about myself. How I need to continue working on my Christian character. How I need to perfect so many areas in my life.  Living alone, it is easy to become selfish, to not see areas in my life that need worked on. Being thrown into a situation where I had to live with others was good. I saw in me things I didn't see just living on my own. Things that need to change. God is so good to put people in our life who love us and care about us, even if we are not perfect. I have been blessed with the highest quality friends throughout my life, who are there to help me learn and grow at just the right times. This time has been no exception. My time away has also made me think how I am so blessed to live where I do, HOW I do. Why was I born into such favorable circumstances? Why are there so many hurting people? Hurting children? WHAT does God want me to do? I had made up my mind, I would come home, get a good paying job for the summer and be able to go  as a missionary by this fall. I had it all worked out, and I thought it was possible, it could work....then my friend called. She was asking me to give up a a large part of my summer to volunteer at her health clinics. "I really need you. The people connect with you and you help their physical problems." It was a mission opportunity, and I don't want to turn down an opportunity to help people...so I said yes. That still gave me 2 months to make enough money to go on my September mission trip, if I could sell my pickup to pay off a small debt. It could still work, I thought. THEN I received another phone call from a friend. "I'm having surgery in Michigan, my husband is going to be too busy to properly care for me, would you consider coming back and being my caregiver after my surgery?"  GULP. "I'll pray about it" I said. Before the night was up, I knew I had to say "yes". I emailed her saying I would come help her. I'm leaving my plans in God's hands. Maybe He doesn't want me to go to Thailand, or maybe....I know intellectually He owns the cattle on a thousand hills. My heart is having a hard time, but I know this is an excellent opportunity to put my complete trust in God. He can, He WILL, work it out to His honor and glory....and in the end, I will have learned to trust in my loving Savior just a little bit more, no matter how it turns out. No matter if MY dream to go back overseas comes true, or He has something better in store for me. Learning to lay down MY plans for HIS plans is something I am striving towards.  In the mean time, I recently read this quote "Let us neglect no opportunity that, if improved, will make us more useful in God’s service". Soooooooo, I will take every opportunity to make myself more useful for the mission fields. When He calls, I will be ready. "All heaven rejoices when weak, faulty human beings give themselves to Jesus, to live His life." I read this, this morning in my quiet time, and found it comforting. Heaven is rejoicing. I have given my life to Jesus, now He can send me where I will be the biggest blessing to those I go to serve. How exciting to follow Jesus. To bring comfort, help and cheer to those who have lost SO much. To those who haven't known the comforts I have been so accustomed to the last 4 decades. What a privilege to work for Jesus, in showing others HIS goodness and love. I would like to challenge you. WHAT are you doing to hasten our Saviors soon return? Let's join in this battle together, and soon we can go home where there is no more sorrow or suffering. Where we all enjoy equal benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment